Just Two Chicks!

Just Two Chicks!

Followers

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The human side...




Hello out there in Blogland… that word combination has totally confused my Microsoft program!

Blogs have been few and far between while I’ve been getting re-acquainted with lesson planning. My brain is so strange lately (meaning I can only focus on one thing at a time).

SO, I wanted to discuss blogs and their purpose. Why do we do it? Why do I do it?
I created my blog for one reason and honestly it wasn’t intended to be a diary of my insecurities, yet at times, that is exactly what it is. I share feelings that would perhaps be more fitting in a personal diary, but the feedback I get when I’m having a rough time of it, really helps. You never know, maybe someone just like me is reading it and feeling a bit better because they are also being helped. Maybe!

My blog purpose was simple… I wanted to show people that though we are not the typical family (two women raising kids, dogs, and a cat), we are just like other families (maybe even yours) in so many ways. We love, we laugh, we play, we disagree, we cause and rid insecurities within each other, we want our kids to have the best of everything and we want to be recognized as the wonderful people we can be.

The reason I’m stating my blog purpose is because I’m about to step away once again, and venture into something I’ve avoided. I haven’t wanted to put anyone off, but no worries, this will be a one-time thing. It’s just something to think about.

The Rights of Others:

I carefully watch and read everything when it comes to gay/lesbian rights, activities, blah, blah, blah. There are times when I’ll hold onto a story for weeks before I read it because I know what type of reaction I’ll have. This is no way to live… it’s hard to read stories about couples who have been torn apart due to lack of rights… one man missed his partner’s last days due to a hospital decision to keep them apart because they weren’t “family.” Those men were together for over 20 years (maybe longer?). Gays/lesbians aren’t allowed to foster children in some states, they can’t adopt in others. There are so many children out there in the foster care system, and there are people who believe they are better off there than with gays/lesbians. The average Joe off the street can vote on whether or not Gays/lesbians can marry. Why is this acceptable? Why should someone who has no idea who I am, have the right tell me who I can marry? Why does a stranger get the right to push their idea of morality on me, yet I don’t get the right to marry who I choose?

So, I read the stories… the fights, the hate-crimes, the injustice and inhumane treatment that can never be corrected or taken back. I read the studies that have been manipulated to fit the needs of the person conducting them… the bible quotes that are also manipulated to fit the needs of the “followers…” followers, not true Christians… I read all of it, and I hurt. I hurt because I just want to be treated with kindness and respect. I want my family to be recognized as the beautiful, amazing people we are and not judged and condemned because we don’t believe and live as “you” (used universally) live.

We’re human and we’re good, we love each other, and there is nothing we wouldn’t do to help a fellow neighbor/friend. God doesn’t hate us… at least not our God. I would never worship a God that encouraged hate among the followers. God is about love,peace, giving more than you receive, and learning to find your way when you’ve gone astray. I don’t think God hates that the way we’ve finally found has led us to a true and endearing love.

The End ;)

4 comments:

Anita said...

At age 52, you can probably imagine that throughout my semi-long life, and considering the decades I was raised, I have had many different/changing feelings towards gays and lesbians; many put upon me by the people in my various environments.

I was taught that it is wrong, and I've heard all the jokes. Fortunately, I'm from a family that does not teach hate, and I was spared from that.

With all of that, somehow I've always known in my heart that gay people share the same emotions and lives as everone else. The physical attraction for same sex is something that I can't feel, but neither can I feel bungy jumping. :)

I am not your judge and am glad that God did not assign me that duty. :) And it's not just a gay thing. I'm not here to determine what any human being's purpose is.

I'll be honest and tell you that you won't find me in a group with signs advocating gay marriage. But you definitely won't see me screaming and hollering against it either.

Perhaps I'm a chicken by not taking a stand. I just perfer to live a life of respecting others and getting to know people individually - and definitely not based on gender preferences.

I pray that God will give us a clearer picture to help us all progress towards understanding and acceptance.

Ps. Yes, not being able to establish legal families is very unfair.

Just Two Chicks said...

Anita, I understand about not going out and demonstrating. The thing is, no one should have to do that. NO one should have to justify their stance on a "rights" issue such as this.

We don't go out and demonstrate because honestly, we're embarrassed by the majority of people out there. I mean, maybe we should make ourselves more visible because the issue we have with the ones who do get out there to defend our rights is that they are so stereo-typical. We see some things and think, "This is who represents us."

We don't put our sexuality out there just to get a reaction from people. We don't carry a chip on our shoulder and dare people not to accept us. We don't wave rainbow flags... Most people don't.

Don't even get me started on Gay Pride parades...

1. Some of the "floats" are incredibly inappropriate...

2. People strapping signs to an infant's back stating they have two mommies is just not right. Let the child grow up and make the decision on whether or not they want to support their moms' in a public forum such as that.

3. Then you have the "God hates you demonstrators." Okay... you cannot get into a philosophical discussion with people such as this... I mean we know they don't have a direct phone line to God and we know they have no idea what God is about... BUT PLEASE... yelling profanities at them does NOT help us at all. Either ignore them, or meet their argument bible verse for bible verse. It IS possible to do that.

I like your statement about God not assigning you that duty. It is SO true. I always say people are playing God when they pass judgement on others... it gives them a true sense of power to decide the fate of others through a vote...

It's just unfortunate that religion is used in such a way. It turns so many people off.

You are an open-minded person, and there are many out there. I just don't think at times, that there is enough open-mindedness to keep the world balanced.

Just Two Chicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita said...

I read your reponse when you wrote it, but never got back to commenting. It's been a BUSY summer!

Anyway, thanks for responding.
I agree with you, that it's unfortunate that the media chooses sensational stories and video and does not balance it with "the other side" of a particular issue.

Gotta run...kids will be here soon.