Just Two Chicks!

Just Two Chicks!

Followers

Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday, August 5th 2011

I'm blogging a bit early this evening.  Soon I will be down to one blog a day, if I'm lucky. It may be 1 blog every few days. The children are coming home Sunday.  Children coming home equals busy, busy me. Bye, bye quite nights of doing our own thing. Bye, bye, quiet mornings of writing and drinking coffee. With all of this said, I am happy. I've missed the children who almost aren't children anymore. I bought their school supplies today. I ordered their school clothes three days ago. I'm on top of it. There are still shoes, ties, and a belt to purchase, but I feel like I've done well.

Today has been a day full of extremely mixed emotions. First of all, they called me about my biopsy already and it was negative!!! Yay! I'll take a black and blue breast for news like that any day! I was doing a happy dance in the car and the wife says "I told you so..." Yes ma'am! This will make our trip so much better. So after hearing this news you would think I would be happy, and I am... I'm happy, thankful, grateful...

BUT... my heart is so heavy with sadness right now.

Here's the backstory:
When we first moved to Dallas, I didn't really know anyone. I had some friends, but these were people I had to cut ties with for my own well being and for the well-being of mine and the wife's relationship. I had also quit my job, becoming a house-wife for the first time in my life. I really had some adjustments to make.

The wife and I had a routine back in those days. The day began with her waking up and whining "coffee!" This was my cue that it was time to go to Starbucks. I loved my daily (the only days we missed were the days we were out of town or when we were iced in) Starbucks trips. They got me out of the house for something other than driving the kids to school. Then when I started teaching at the kids' school, I was stopping twice a day. Once in the morning for myself, and then again on my way home for the wife.The employees there finally fell into the understanding that the wife was a wife rather than simply a friend, and the person I talked with the most, was Steph. She was always there, smiling most of the time. Unless she was having girlfriend issues. I knew when she was having those issues, I knew when she got her certification to be a personal trainer, I knew when she got her very first pet (a gray kitten she loved), I knew that she had a problem with drinking and I knew when she was trying to quit smoking. My Starbucks peeps were a huge part of my life until we moved a few months ago. I still stayed in touch with Steph through Facebook.

Earlier this evening, I received a text from a friend of mine. Apparently her daughter was also friends with my Starbucks Star... small world huh? She wanted to let me know that Steph had been in a horrible accident. Apparently she was heading the wrong way on the highway and hit a semi-truck head on. She is in the hospital and they're discontinuing life support tonight.  I hate this. I hate that someone so young is going to die due to a very bad decision. I hate that so many like her make the same decision every single time they go to the bar or to a party.  I hate that friends are too passive to say "Hey, you know what, you're way too drunk to get behind the wheel of a car." Or "I think you have a problem... let me help you." She wanted help... She was hurting. She was trying to pull her life together.  This girl was 25 years old. Her birthday was July 30th.


1 comment:

Rob-bear said...

Oh dear. What a mixed message.
Hurray for the negative test result. While a negative result on a algebra test is a bad thing, this negative result was not.
But oh, the loss of a dear friend, and so needlessly. Blessings and Bear hugs as you live through that, Shauna.